UGC NET Eligibility Criteria: UGC NET exam is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) to determine the candidate’s eligibility for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor. The exam will only be conducted as a Computer Based Test (CBT). If you are interested in appearing for the UGC NET exam for December 2019, you should check the minimum eligibility criteria and UGC NET syllabus before applying for the UGC NET examination. In this article, we have shared revised and UGC NET 2020-2021 eligibility criteria released by the NTA-National Testing Agency.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria
UGC NET Eligibility and Educational Qualifications
1. Candidates should have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s Degree or Equivalent Degree from UGC recognized universities/institutions are eligible for UGC NET 2019.
2. The OBC belonging to non-creamy layer / SC / ST / PWD candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in the Master’s degree or equivalent degree are eligible for this exam.
3. Candidates who are pursuing a Master’s degree or equivalent degree or Candidates who have appeared in the final year Master’s degree or equivalent degree course may also apply for this Test. However, such candidates will be considered eligible for JRF/Assistant Professor only after they have passed their Master’s degree or equivalent degree with at least 55% marks (50% in case of OBC (Non-creamy layer)/ SC/ ST/ PWD category candidates). Such candidates should complete their Master’s degree or equivalent degree within two years from the date of UGC NET result with the required percentage of marks.
3. The Ph.D. degree holders those who have completed their Master’s degree by 19th September 1991 will be eligible for appearing in NET for a relaxation 5% in aggregate marks.
4. Candidates are advised to choose a subject of their post-graduation only. In case, if you don’t find your post-graduation subject is not in the list of subjects available for UGC NET exam, you may select a related subject.
5. While applying online candidates belonging to OBC (Non-creamy layer)/SC/ST/PWD will have to submit an attested copy of the category certificate with the printout copy of their Application Forms. Other candidates don’t have to submit any certificates/documents in support of their eligibility with their application form.
6. Candidates have completed their post-graduate from the foreign University/Institute should be recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi.
UGC NET 2020 Age Limit and Relaxation
i) Junior Research Fellowship:
- The age limit for JRF is 28 years.
- 5 years age relaxation will be provided to the OBC (Non-creamy layer)/SC/ST/PWD candidates
and to women applicants.
- For the candidates having research experience will get the age relaxation maximum of 5 years, on the production of a certificate
from an appropriate authority.
- 3 years’ relaxation in age will be permissible for the candidates possessing an L.L.M. Degree.
- 5 years age relaxation will be provided for the candidates who have served in the armed forces.
ii) Assistant Professor:
- There is no age limit for Assistant Professor
Exemption – Eligibility for Assistant Professor
- NET/SLET/SET is the minimum eligibility for Assistant Professors in Indian Universities/Colleges/Institutions. However, candidates who are awarded a Ph.D. Degree in accordance with the UGC Regulations, 2009, will be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility of NET/SLET/SET for Assistant Professors in Indian Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions.
- Candidates who have also passed the UGC/CSIR JRF exam before 1989 are exempted from appearing in NET.
- The candidates who have cleared the SET exam accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor held before 1st June 2002, are also exempted from appearing in NET and being eligible to apply for Assistant Professor in any Indian Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions.
- For SET qualified candidates from 1st June 2002 onwards are eligible to apply for Assistant Professor job only in the universities/ colleges situated in the state from where they have qualified their SET exam.
UGC NET 2020 Eligibility FAQs
55% marks in Master‟s Degree OR equivalent examination (without rounding off) from UGC recognized universities/ institutions.
The OBC belonging to non-creamy layer / SC / ST / PWD candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in the Master’s degree or equivalent degree are eligible for this exam.
Candidates are advised to choose a subject of their post-graduation only. In case, if you don’t find your post-graduation subject is not in the list of subjects available for UGC NET exam, you may select a related subject.