CSIR-Nehru Science Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Details-The Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowship is available for young researchers in the field of basic science, engineering, medicine, and agriculture. Candidates who have completed a Ph.D. within the last three years or for the candidates about to submit a thesis are eligible to apply. In this scheme, CSIR offers 100 postdoctoral fellowships each year for fresh Ph.D. holders who are intended to carry out further research in CSIR laboratories.
At a Glance: CSIR-Nehru Science Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- Funding Agency: CSIR
- Subject areas: Science and Technology
- Purpose: Research
- Fellowship amount: Indian Rs. 50,000/Month plus HRA as per norms
- Deadline for Application: Any time in a year
Eligibility Criteria for CSIR-Nehru Science Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
- Candidates who have already completed their Ph.D. are eligible to apply within three years of the award of Ph.D. degree.
- Candidates those who have submitted Ph.D. theses are eligible to apply.
- Also, those who are about to submit the Ph.D. thesis are eligible to apply. However, they would have submitted the thesis before the expiry of the validity of the award offer.
- Candidates should have an excellent publication record (in high impact SCI journals) in their Ph.D. research.
The CSIR Nehru Postdoctoral Research Fellowship program offers 80% of the total number of fellowships for Indian nationals, Overseas Citizen of India (OCI), & Persons of Indian Origin (PIO), and 20% of fellowships may be offered to foreign nationals.
Minimum Age limit for Application
32 years (for ST/SC/OBC/Physically Disabled/ women candidates age limit is 32+5 years)
The duration is two years and it is extendable up to one more year based on performance & recommendation from the Director of the CSIR lab.
Monthly Indian Rs. 50,000/- plus HRA as per norms.
Yearly Rs.3,00,000/- per fellow. 25% of the annual contingency grant can be used for domestic and international travel. The unspent amount can be treated as lapsed at the end of a financial year.
Other Benefits of the Fellowship
- Accommodation if available
- Medical benefits according to the CSIR rules for RA
Eligible candidates may apply at any time of the year. However, the selections will be made twice a year (June & December). Note that, candidates who applied two months before of scheduled interview date, will be shortlisted and called for an interview.
Selection to the Nehru Science Postdoctoral Research Fellowships will be made based on the presentation followed by an interview. The presentation should be on the proposed research project. For foreign nationals, the selection will be subjected to clearance by International S&T Affairs Directorate, CSIR.
Other Relevant Information About the Fellowship
1. Candidates need to provide the following additional documents if they are employed (Permanent/Temporary) outside of the CSIR system.
- Recommendation of the director of the sponsoring laboratory or organization of the applicant where he/she is a permanent/temporary employee citing the reasons for mutually benefitting the research in the CSIR laboratory
- Undertaking from the organization where employed that Extraordinary Leave without pay
2. If a candidate obtained a Ph.D. degree from a particular CSIR laboratory, he/she would not be eligible as a postdoctoral fellow in the same CSIR laboratory under this scheme.
3. Appointing CSIR lab will spend 20% of the annual expenditure from its internal resources
4. 20% of the fellowship amount will be paid as a single payment made (end of completion of 1st and 2nd year)
5. Selected candidates will have to join within four months of the effective date of the award.
HOW TO Apply
Step-1: Go to the official website of the CSIR and read the instructions carefully before filling the application. Download the application form.
Step-2: Download the application form and fill it. Don’t keep anything blank in the application form. An incomplete application will be rejected.
Step-3: Send the application filled application including supporting documents to the CSIR Complex, Pusa, New Delhi.