This article explains Career prospects and job scopes in Botany, including Government and Private Jobs for Botany Students after B.Sc. and M.Sc.
An M.Sc. in Botany job scope in India is in high demand and has a wide range of master’s students to choose from. Syllabus and subjects of Botany help graduates to pursue various careers in different domains like food, technology, engineering, chemistry, environmental, agriculture, medicine, etc.
The scope for Botany students in various public, private, and government sectors of reputed organizations in India is growing day by day. Botany as the domain has seen a radical ballooning in recent years.
Having this rapid sprouting of this sector, a number of fields open up for botany postgraduates to excel in such as food companies, forest services, biotechnology, educational institutions, biological supply houses, national parks, plant resources laboratories, arboretum, chemical industry, food companies, plant health inspection services, and seed and nurseries companies and land management agencies and so on. In one word, the opportunities have been magnificently increased.
Career prospect and job scope
The opportunities for botany graduates are spread over the public as well as private sectors. In public sectors, the opportunities come about in areas like chemical companies, public health services, national park services, the department of agriculture, forest service, and departments of conservation and land management. In the private sector, the opportunities lie in the oil industry, food companies, seed companies, fruit growers and biotechnology firms, seed companies, etc.
Areas of Recruitment of Botany
There are many areas, private and government sectors that recruit aspirants who have done their masters in botany. Some areas that recruit this very course’s candidates are-
- Drug companies
- Seed companies
- Oil industries
- Food companies
Government Jobs for Botany Students
Sectors or Industries
- Taxonomy: Plant taxonomist identifies new plant species previously unknown to the field. Produce new sources of plant genes and engaged in fieldwork, which involves taxing physical activity.
- Weed Scientist: Weeds scientist plays an important role in managing vegetation. They mainly identify weeds, learn how to combat them, or determine how herbicides interact with plants.
- Plant Psychologist: This may include the study of internal functions and processes of plants and develop an understanding of the biological, chemical, and physical processes that are basic to plant life.
- Plant Morphologists: They determine the cellular arrangement of plants and study how different plants transport and conduct food and water in plants.
- Plant Ecologists: In this very job profile, the main work is to understand the relationship between plants and the environment in which they live and to examine the environmental factors such as heat, rainfall, population, pollutants, temperature, etc that regulate the growth of plants.
- School Teacher: You can be a school teacher of biology. School teaching is a very reputed profession. After completing graduation in Botany, one needs to pursue post-graduation in this very field. And you need to complete B.Ed.(Bachelor of Education) in order to be eligible for the examination of a school teacher.
- Professor: And if you want to be a lecturer you may need a minimum of 55% marks in B.Sc. as well as in M.Sc. Many colleges and universities can offer you this post just after your M.Sc. degree. However, if you want to work as a lecturer at top universities then you need to clear UGC NET. You can also do a Ph.D. or M.Phil. to become a “professor”. You can also become an online tutor of this subject or partner with online academies and guide aspirants for specialized courses.
- Ethnobotanist: They study the relationship between plants and human culture in a search for better medicines and more food production.
- Plant Cytologist: Mainly concerned with the physical arrangement of DNA in a particular species of plant.
Private Jobs for Botany Students
Job opportunity is high in private companies and sectors for botany students. Such companies that recruit botany students are-
- Chemical Companies
- Seed Companies
- Biotechnology Firms
- Fruit Growers
- Food Companies
- Oil Industries